Animal Control

Founded in 2011, Companion Animal Control provides animal control services to over two dozen municipalities in Washington County, MN, St. Croix County, WI and Pierce County, WI

To date, CAC has handled over 4,000 animal control related calls, helped over 3,500 animals. We respond to requests for animal control services from citizens of contracted cities and we work closely with law local enforcement. 

CAC is a licensed & insured LLC.

  • Dispatching animal control transporters to impound found animals

  • Responding to complaints and conducting enforcement for violations of animal ordinances & statutes

  • Investigating animal bite incidents & enforcing bite quarantines

  • Enforcement of potentially dangerous dog & dangerous dog regulations

  • Coordination of animal related appeal hearings

  • Support animal impound partners to ensure live outcomes for animals

  • Partner with local 501c3 rescues for adoptive placement of unclaimed & surrendered animals

Provide education to the public on animal related laws, welfare and proper care

Companion Animal Control does not operate an impound facility, rather we partner with local veterinary clinics and rescues to facilitate impound contracts with municipalities. This ensures animals are housed safely and comfortably for the state required holding time.  We work closely with the impound facility, serving as point of contact to expedite the reclaim of animals by owners.

For animals unclaimed by owners or surrendered, Companion Animal Control partners with local 501c3 rescues to send animals into foster homes with the rescues in pursuit of permanent adoptive homes.

Animal Control Information

The City of Lakeland Animal Control Officer is Brit Harmon.  Brit is on call at 715-220-1332 from 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM, 7 days a week.
All Animals Must Be Leashed.

The Animal Control Officer can pick up dogs and cats running at large.  Every effort will be made to return the animal to its owner. If not, it will be taken to the Otter Lake Animal Hospital and held until the owner has paid all City and Shelter fees. 

How do I contact animal control?

Call Companion Animal Control at (715) 220-1332.   

Where are animals impounded?

Otter Lake Animal Care Center 6848 Otter Lake Road Hugo, MN 55038  (651) 426-8871

.  Animals are held for the state required holding period, then evaluated for adoption and/or rescue placement.  Owners reclaiming their animal should expect to pay a reclaim fee and may be additionally invoiced by the city to recuperate animal control expenses and/or issued a citation for an at large animal.

What to do if I’ve found an animal?
  • If possible, contain and/or leash the animal. Never approach an animal that is behaving aggressively.
  • Call Washington Co. Sheriff Non-Emergency (651) 439-9381 and Companion Animal Control (715) 220-1332.
  • Companion Animal Control will respond to pick up the animal and will post it online at: , notify your neighborhood by sharing the posting on social media or email. The animal will be safely kept for the state required holding period before transfer to a rescue or adoption.
  • Consider posting a "Found" report on a website such as and the
What to do if I’ve lost an animal?
  • Call Washington Co. Sheriff Non-Emergency (651) 439-9381 to report your pet missing, Companion Animal Control checks County lost animal reports when responding to calls of found animals.
  • Check the Companion Animal Control found animal posts:
  • Call and visit the impound facility Otter Lake Animal Care Center 6848 Otter Lake Road Hugo, MN 55038 651-426-8871 to search for your animal.
  • For tips on finding your lost animal visit: